The Forest Lodge Library was founded in 1925 by Mary Livingston Griggs in memory of her mother, Mary Steele Livingston. Mrs. Griggs envisioned a Community House in downtown Cable, a place that would combine the functions of library and community meeting center. The building was constructed of logs cut and milled off the Griggs property on nearby Lake Namakagon.
Later named the Forest Lodge Library, the building is now the oldest log cabin library in the state of Wisconsin. The building was named to the national and State Register of History Places in the year 2000.
When the Cable Natural History Museum was established in 1968, the library and the museum merged and operated under a single board funded by the Mary Livingston Griggs and Mary Griggs Burke Foundation. In 1992 the library established its own Board of Trustees and became a fully functioning public library.
The Forest Lodge Library is a participating library in the Northern Waters Library Service system and a member of the Merlin Consortium, the shared catalog of this library system. Forest Lodge Library cardholders can have patron privileges at any member library. To learn more about the Forest Lodge Library and its events and services and to access the online catalog visit: http://cable.wislib.org.
To learn more about the Northern Waters Library Service and its libraries visit: http://nwls.wislib.org.